Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Saturday, February 6

While sitting in class at Rivier, I was planning to rush out right at the end to head home for Dad's surprise 60th birthday party. Just after 1:00pm, however, I was the one who was surprised. Either I had wet my pants or my water broke! I decided to stay in class for awhile because I was afraid if it was fluid leaking I would start having contractions and be on the side of Rt. 101 by myself. I waited until the class took a break and calmly told Dr. Gleason that I was leaving. (He was eager for me to head out if anything was wrong!)

I called the clinic in Keene and was told to head home and let them know if I leaked any more fluid. After stopping at Target to buy another pair of pants, I was on my way, and proceeded to call Keene and say I was on my way. They quickly confirmed that, indeed, my water had broken. I was 29 weeks, 4 days pregnant. No party for us!

We were told I would be transported to DHMC in Lebanon, as this is the closest hospital with a NICU. I was given a steroid shot to boost the baby's lung development, antibiotics to prevent infection, and we were on our way. The ride was a little bumpy, but I made it...Brian met me there.

I was given immediate attention and they confirmed that my water had broken again. An ultrasound showed that the baby weighed about 3lbs. 5 oz. and was doing okay. I had contractions about 5 minutes apart until around 2:30am. As they monitored me quite closely and I had lots going on in my mind, I slept for about an hour. Brian didn't sleep much more. The goal was to make it until 6pm Sunday night for another steroid shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment