Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19

My day stared off at 1:27am when I was awoken by my nurse. I thought this was simply to take my vitals, until she said she had bad news...I would be getting a roommate. This has been my biggest fear since I arrived. It is stressful enough being here; I hardly want to share this experience with a stranger! The nurse assured me that she was going home in the morning and that she usually sleeps all night.

WRONG! She came in and did not sleep at all. I know this, because neither did I. Luckily, I did not catch a glimpse of this young woman until the morning because I would have had nightmares if I did fall asleep for sure! She spent the entire night texting and getting up and down and leaving the room only to come back seconds later. On top of that she was pumping (and not proficient at it apparently) and her bed had a mattress that automatically adjusted every time she moved.

My "roomie" got a phone call on the room phone at around 7am and when she came around the curtain I almost died. Now not that looks mean anything, BUT... she had more piercings than I have ever seen and had many tatoos; that's too many to count! (Did you know you could pierce your cheek?!) The other unique detail about my new friend that can't be ignored was her language. Now I may not have the cleanest mouth, but she used more 4 letter words in an hour period (to nurses, etc.) than I did when I was in labor with Charleigh (and that is a lot).

Needless to say when the doctor came in and asked how I slept, I was happy to let her know!

Some quotes from my roomie:
*"I have a fear of needles unless they are giving me a tatoo or a piercing."
*"Do you have any other kids?" (Yes, a 2 year old daughter.) "I know how hard it is to be away...I have two cats at home and they don' listen to my boyfriend."
*"I watched my best friend kill himself. Want a cupcake?"
*"I call that doctor Dr. Dink. He wasn't so nice to me."

Anyway, the rest of the day was good. Teaghan wasn't really active during my time on the monitor, but she still passed the non-stress test. (Passing means that her heart rate has to accelerate at least 10 beats per minute three times within a 20 minute time period.) Charleigh came for a nice visit and we had pizza for dinner. This was Dad's birthday celebration! I hope next year we can be a bit more formal! I am absolutely exhausted and looking forward to bed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim! So, we want to know- did you eat the cupcake-LOL. We miss you, but we are thrilled that you are still pregnant. Keep up the hard work. Let Charleigh know that Dma is ready for a play date any time. Lots of love! Kel,Keith and Dma

    ReplyDelete