Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4 - She's Here!

So my back pain turned out to be contractions.... I woke up at 2am with this horrible back ache again. It was on and off through the night, but nothing consistent until around 6:30am. They put me on the monitor and, sure enough, I was having contractions. I was not at all dilated at this time. Teaghan was looking great, so they took me off of the monitor for most of the day. The contractions were strong, but about 8-10 minutes apart until around 4:00pm. Look out! At 5:15pm I was 5 cm, fully effaced, and by 6:00pm, I was at 9cm ready to push! I had requested a heating pad for the pain, but they could not get a working one in here all day! They also tried to give me one dose of something for the pain, but it was WAY too late - this was only like 5 minutes before she was born. Although it hurt like hell, I managed to get through it okay. I didn't even swear once!!!!! (This is a miracle considering the trucker mouth I adopted during Charleigh's labor.)

At 6:25pm, 33 weeks, 2 days, Teaghan Shea was born. She came out crying and needed very little support. Brian was able to cut the cord and then they whisked her away to the ICN. Teaghan weighed 4lbs. 11oz. and was 17 inches long! Not bad compared to what we were expecting. She has lots of black hair!

We were unable to see her until almost 8pm...this time passed very slowly. When we got there, she was receiving some support breathing with the CPAP. This provides pressure to help her breathe, but she does not need any oxygen at all...she is breathing room air. She needs a little extra heat, and they put in a feeding tube and IV. She is not yet eating, but the tube will release some air in her belly so she can burp! They did a chest x-ray and a CBC, but both looked fine. I have to say, being in the ICN and seeing all of the tubes and monitors was a little overwhelming, but I am sure we will get used to it. It is just a relief that she is doing so well!

Charleigh was SO excited when we called; far more than I ever thought she would be. Mom and Dad had just finished washing and reassembling the infant car seat (with Charleigh's help). When she heard that Teaghan was out of Mommy's belly, she wanted to get the car seat and head here!

Brian and I are both hoping to get some rest tonight, but I am not feeling very tired. We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Teaghan and congratulations to your family! We are so hapy for you :O)

    Love, Mark, Heather, Alex, and Laura

    ReplyDelete